Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Early Spring happenings



We returned from Zurich mid-February and a few weeks later I started potty training Nadia. We did the 'hard core approach' with a timer every 10 minutes and naked from the waist down. She had shown some interest before we left for Zurich, even sitting on the potty on her own and peeing, so I didn't want the opportunity to pass. At the end of February, we also found out that I was pregnant (yay!), so that made me even more motivated to potty train. I didn't relish the thought of having two kids in diapers for a year, like I did with Sophia and Nadia. For almost three weeks, I minimized leaving the house with Nadia at all so that I wouldn't have to put a diaper on her. I would carry the potty with me, along with many changes of clothes. After a few weeks, Nadia became good at going potty on her own at home when she was naked from the waist down. More problematic was when she would have any panties or pants on, or if she was being asked to go on a public toilet. We pressed on through April and then in early May, my mom came. She babysat Sophia & Nadia for a weekend while Roth and I had a lovely weekend in NYC (amazing food, Broadway show, nice hotel, no kids--just great). Nadia got sick while we were gone and 'unlearned' potty habits and became really defiant. When we got back, we also starting having the girls sleep in the same room, in preparation for the baby and for construction on our house that was upcoming. That was a big challenge, so my mom wisely suggested I back off the potty training for a while. So Nadia was back in diapers through June (hard not to feel a bit defeated, but I know it was wise). Now, at the end of July, she is potty trained at home, when naked from the waist down, but that's as far as we've gotten. Also, after 5 weeks of late nights with the girls, and early mornings, we've separated them for sleeping again. Humbling when parenting feels like 2 steps forward, 2 steps back sometimes!

In other news, here's a picture of the new car! Shortly after we found out about the pregnancy, Roth found this car near us, a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. We've been wanting to avoid a van with its outrageous gas mileage, and this car has a small third row, and much better gas mileage than a van. We've been happy with it so far.

Playing with the last snow of the season..

Here celebrating Kathy's birthday mid-March

Here's a picture from April 5th, Sophia's birthday! We took the girls to the pub ( Brews n Bytes was closed).

She really enjoyed her peanut-butter pie


1 comment:

Connie Keller said...

Yay that potty-training is almost done for Nadia!